Thousand-day Pilgrimage 2023
Jun 16, 2023
[ SPECIAL VIEWING OF THE NAINAIJIN, IN THE MAIN HALL 2023 ]
– Viewing :
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (last entry), August 9 – 16
9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (last entry / The Evening Special Visit), August 14 – 16
– Admission fee :
Adult 400 Yen / elementary & junior high student 200 Yen
THE HOLY CUSTOM TAKES PLACE ONTHE DAYS WHEN KANNON’S BLESSINGSARE AMPLIFIED
The custom of the Thousand-day Pilgrimage, during which one day of prayer is equivalent to a thousand days’ worth of meritorious prayers, took root alongside the spread of the worship of Kannon. It has widely gained popularity as the event for which the Kannon’s blessings are amplified. On these days, you can feel the great compassion of Kannon, who earnestly listens to every person’s vows and worries and strives to relieve each torment. During the period of Thousand-day Pilgrimage, the nainaijin (the innermost sanctuary) in Main Hall is specially opened to the public in the evening as well as in the daytime.
*Click here for details
[ Notice to visitors ]
The Kiyomizu-dera Temple has remained a sacred place where visitors offer prayers to the Kannon for more than 1200 years. Please bear this in mind and lower your volume when visiting the temple grounds.
- -Smoking is prohibited throughout the entire temple. There are no designated smoking areas within the temple grounds.
- -Please refrain from eating and drinking outside cafes and tea houses while walking around the grounds.
- -Remember to take all trash with you, including plastic bottles, cans, and wrappers.
- -Pets are not allowed to enter the temple grounds except for service dogs (eg. guide dogs, assistance dogs, and hearing dogs).
- -Photo shoots using drones, monopods or tripods are prohibited. Photo shoots for weddings or cosplay, or fashion photo sessions using models are also forbidden.
- -Please refrain from recording for commercial purposes in the temple grounds. This includes taking photos or videos with the temple structures in the background without permission.
- -Please do not enter off-limits areas in the temple grounds including shrubbery and gardens.
- -Please do not block the way of other visitors by having a picnic or taking group pictures within the grounds.
Upon finding any behaviors deemed inappropriate, our staff will provide a caution. Any visitor who fails to follow staff instruction may be asked to leave the temple.